Pages

Friday, October 14, 2016

Practice

One of my mottoes (which I got from my son) is, Practice makes pretty good (our variation of Practice makes perfect), and one of the ways I practice writing is Monday Night Practice with four other regular writers. We check in with each other before it begins at 8pm, and tell each other what we plan to work on. At 8pm we (are supposed to, ahem) turn off all distractions and write for a solid hour. At 9pm we check back in to discuss our progress, or lack thereof. For most of the summer I've been revising FAIRY TAIL, which as some of you know has been kicking my ass. But pretty much every Monday night (I did skip on debate night) I check in and work on fixing the mess I wrote. The interesting thing is I often make a fair bit of progress that night, which often leaks over into the next day or two, which means that I am - albeit slowly - making progress. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel quite yet but I know it's there.

My point? My point is sometimes having some other people to answer to can help make writing happen. More than a few times I went into practice after having got stuck on how to make a scene work, what to salvage, what to toss, and how to weave everything back together properly. And most of the time I managed to finish and make sense of what I'd written, complete the task I'd set for myself for that hour.

And it's only an hour, once a week. Totally doable.

A huge thanks to the gals who show up every week, Maria, Carey, Krystalyn, and Dianne.

Do you have anyone to practice with? Do you find it as beneficial as I do?

As for pumpkin pics...it rained last Sunday which was my day to walk in to town so I'm hoping this Sunday will be nicer and hopefully Monday I'll have some pumpkin pics for everyone. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

28 comments:

  1. That's a great way to hold yourself accountable. I don't share with others like that, but events such as NaNo motivate me in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, having someone else to motivate, and who motivates you, is a great way to stick to schedules. My Hubby and I exercise together (when we exercise :0)) and that really helps stick to the routine. By the way I love what you have done with the pumpkin in your header picture, its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could take credit for that pumpkin but all I did was take its picture. Some other talented person did the painting.

      Delete
  3. I can see how being part of a group like that might provide an extra boost to getting some writing done, but as for me, the only person I have to answer to about my writing progress is me. But on the plus side, I've become a much tougher boss than I used to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it helpful, plus some of us have read for one another which is also helpful. They're a great bunch.

      Delete
  4. Love that pumpkin. And agree wholeheartedly. Books ARE magic. Not always comfortable magic, but magic just the same.
    And I am so grateful to their creators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the uncomfortable ones can be the best.

      Delete
  5. Practice is good, painting requires discipline, discipline can sometimes be lacking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think having the others to come back to makes me be disciplined, which I lack at times...

      Delete
  6. Yay for Practice Makes Pretty Good and for that light at the end of the tunnel. It's terrific that you commit yourself to writing every week. I've started and stopped so many times over the summer that I've just given up. I'll get back to it whenever... Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a commitment definitely helps motivate me!

      Delete
  7. Yay! Marcy is right! A little peer pressure is a good thing. Anybody want to join us for Monday night writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly find it helpful and we do have a great group :)

      Delete
  8. Love the pumpkin! And that's good advice. I have a lovely group who gets online together every other week for two hours. Some of us may only spend part of the time writing, all of it, or talk the time away entirely. Still, we boost one another in the endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I can see why it would help. (The way I've always heard that motto was: Practice makes better, never perfect.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you found something that works for you. And wow, great fun with your banner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My local writing group does a similar thing. They use an online chat room to encourage and update every 20 minutes how much they accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's helpful and encouraging, and we writers need all the encouragement we can get!

      Delete
  12. Having accountability works a treat for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your accountability group. I love it! I have a critique group that's pretty hands on, and a few readers who regularly say things on facebook. That's my accountability meter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since I believe that perfection is unattainable for humans, I like "Practices makes pretty good" as a better alternative for the traditional saying. Either that or "Practice strives for perfect."

    I could use more accountability, but since my local writing group disbanded I haven't found a suitable replacement.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also believe that perfection is unattainable for us mere humans, hence, practice makes pretty good. Sorry your group disbanded :(

      Delete
  15. I like that motto too. I don't have anyone to practice with. Maybe that's my problem. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

If you're interested in my blog I'm interested in your comments.